Heard County School System
131 East Court Square
PO BOX 1330
Franklin, GA 30217
Tuesday, July 14, 2020
I hope this letter finds you enjoying the last few weeks of your summer! In my letter on Monday, July 6th, I promised that things would change as we approach the beginning of the school year. As was stated in our video message, we did not see any good virtual learning options out there for our K-5 children. We have continued to look and we believe we have found a platform that satisfies the rigor that we need as a school system for our younger learners. The platform is Accelerated Education and we discovered this from our colleagues in Oconee County. We have investigated the platform and feel it will be suitable for Grades K-5 to begin the 20-21 school year for parents who have concerns about face-to-face education. There are many things you need to be aware of should you choose this option for your child:
- You will need to have access to high-speed internet.
- You will need to commit to beginning and sticking with this platform through the end of the first nine weeks of school (Friday, October 9th) A virtual learning contract will be required.
- When the first nine weeks of school ends, you will be asked to decide again for another nine weeks.
- As a parent, you will be making a large commitment to being the “learning coach” for your child. Learning coaches explain what is coming for the day to their children, they help set goals for the day, they make sure that there is a regular schedule established for the child, and they ensure the child is keeping up with assignments. Accelerate Education does not just place a child in front of a computer for the day. As a learning coach, you will be highly involved with the education of your child. Here is a link to a description of the Learning Coach’s responsibilities from Accelerate Education.
- You understand that your child will have access to 4 courses through Accelerate Education (ELA, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies). They will receive grades for these subjects based on the work they do in this platform.
- You understand that the Heard County School System will pay for the seat in this platform for your child. Along with this “seat” will be an offline workbook for each course as well.
- Heard County School System will provide a chromebook for each student who chooses the Accelerate Education option.
- Be aware there are additional supplies that are required which will not be provided by Heard County School System. (For example: various materials for Science experiments)
- Heard County School System will begin face to face instruction on Wednesday, August 5th. Virtual Learning for K-5 will begin on Monday, August 10th. This will give us a chance to kick off our face to face school before juggling the online learning platform as well.
- If you wish to take advantage of this option, please click HERE and fill out the online commitment form.